Experience Loss

If you have ideas to improve this great game, post them here!
pearcekj

Experience Loss

Post by pearcekj » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:54 pm

Experience loss is frustrating and seems too steep. It only gets worse as we level higher. Too many high level players are either suspect of using exploits or legitimately able to kill others in a handful of hits. Too many low levels kill at random and PvP is buggy. It seems like the only meta right now for high levels is go dex build, dress like a cowboy, camp drifters and hope you don't get PKed. The meta for low levels is fight desperately over the bug camp northeast or east of spawn or brawlers east of the farm and hope you don't get PKed. I feel like I'm having to tip toe, bug/brawler-grind and strategically log out from shady-looking newbs constantly just to level and the game would be a lot more open and enjoyable if the experience loss wasn't so steep. Not every casual player can afford to lose many hours of gameplay, sometimes a day or two worth of casual play, every time some random player decides to kill them by clicking twice and waiting five seconds.

Maybe lower the experience loss on death or remove it and implement some other hindrance instead like a period of reduced experience gain? Or maybe implement an item obtainable/purchased in-game, either to be possessed or consumed, like a shot of experimental antidote, that reduces or limits experience loss in-game upon death. I know there are players that like the hardcore rogue-like element, I like it too, but there are many of us that may soon reach a threshold where there's no point in pursuing advanced levels because there are only so many hours at the end of a workday and we'll probably just get PKed and lose our investment anyway.

Maybe implement a hard mode for players that enjoy this challenge, where players get some sort of benefit with higher risk. But allow casual players to steadily level up.

I feel like the gaming experience should be one where you steadily level up and gain forward momentum regardless of death. Death should be a minor inconvenience, not a traumatic setback that deletes many hours of progress. If we are freed up to progress forward without fear, we can more happily engage in team-building, PvP, faction wars, exploration, helping others and in-app purchases. With the threat of major exp loss still looming over us, we're just grinding away in a paranoid survival mode, eyes twitching at everyone that runs too close to us. With the recent bug fixes that reduced our speed, armor and dodge, this fear became even more apparent.

Just something to consider.
Last edited by pearcekj on Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leone

Re: Experience Loss

Post by Leone » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:54 pm

A very careful analysis. Worth thinking over.

Kabuki

Post by Kabuki » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:53 am

I agree with thread author. A lot of exploiters taking away hardly earned experience - it's just killing this game. I don't think that exp should be taken away at all when killed in pvp. This is one most annoying thing for high level (+20) characters currently in game.

While -20% exp when killed by mobs or from radiation, thirst, hunger to loose 20% exp it's a completely different thing and it keeps this game unique.

Killazoo

Post by Killazoo » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:13 am

One of the things about the 20% experience loss is that the higher level you go 20+ the more xp you need and can get from higher level mobs yet paying a higher price apon death. Getting 4000xp is harder to get if say you was level 10 and at 20kxp. Rather than being level 24 and at 400k xp and losing 80k xp. Yet it takes about the same amount of time to refarm the xp.
10% of xp would be very good and easily farmed back couldn't imagine what Elspycho was thinking being level 30+ and being killed several times :lol: but that's a different story
Biggest problem I can see is there's just simply not enough maps or mobs yet to go around ;)
Like some articles I've read people have a lot of problems of higher levels simply killing them off of a spawn to take it for themselves and no way to fight back against such "Bullies" :ugeek:
Also they say that said "Bullies" should be reset for using bugs to level so high. But yet it should be server wide complete reset.
Also I know bugs aren't everyone's favorite the bugs should be nerfed on their strength they take off about as much as a brawler. I mean come on a bug that hits as hard as a human? :lol:
I'd still like to experiment a bit more with pvp mechanics after all this if anyone gets board msg me

DirtyHarry

Post by DirtyHarry » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:45 am

I think it needs a new scale, it should start at low percent, say 5% or lower for level 0 and increase as you level up.

The exp gained in pvp should also be scaleable, less exp gained for killing low levels

The idea being that for a high level player to kill lower level players lose its bonus and appeal, because even using exploits if they attagonise mid range to low range players who then gang up to gank an agressive higher lvl pvp player they can cause a substantial exp loss with a more substantial exp gain. Exp should be split amosnt all pvp participants.

For a more balanced pvp system you need to prevent any pvp player logging out or using a safe area for at least 5 mins after pvp, because atm players go on a kill spree on a map then log out so by the time a hunt team shows up, they are not even in game, a badly designed mechanic being abused.

Also if a global reset occurs, the exp gained on npc enemies and their hp/speed slashed, there would be far too many noobs all competingfor the same lvl up grounds. And the expgained on quests is far too low, especially the longer ones requiring a lot of running around risking death, or travelling into higher risk areas.
BoS - SoB - B0S 3 Guilds - 1 Brotherhood

Aegis

Post by Aegis » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:09 am

Killazoo wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:13 am I mean come on a bug that hits as hard as a human? :lol:
Attachments
1nqgd4.jpg
1nqgd4.jpg (35.59 KiB) Viewed 4439 times
Aegis :: Retired Senior Game Master (SGM)
Languages: English, Italian, German

FAQ:
http://ov.dmgamestudio.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=229
Game Rules:
http://ov.dmgamestudio.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=151

Killazoo

Post by Killazoo » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:47 pm

That's not a bug that's a flippin dinosaur :lol: :lol: love that movie 90s was great!
But seriously bugs dmg. Should be reduced for the lower levels

FilthyBastard

Post by FilthyBastard » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:48 am

Agree w authot

Hamjam

Post by Hamjam » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:12 pm

All of this was very well put. It keeps coming up and I can almost guarantee they are looking at a workable fix. Great post.
"The world is a cold and brutal place. Yet there is glory to be had out there in wasteland."

Say hi if I see you out there.