Equipment maintenance

If you have ideas to improve this great game, post them here!
Elbin

Equipment maintenance

Post by Elbin » Wed May 10, 2017 2:55 pm

This idea is inspired by the current "set-in-stone" status of equipped items. It seems once you get the desired/good/presumed best stuff you can keep it forever, which takes away a bit of the survival feeling. And reading about gun maintenance kits in another thread made me think - why don't we use those as their name suggests?

Enter item decay. This is not real decay, you do not lose your items. However, after some time in use they get worn. This will easily be implemented as transforming the item in its rusty/dirty/rugged version, which are already in the game. You get a message that your armour or gun degraded and suffer the decrease in stats. You can easily get it to its previous beauty by using a maintenance kit (also already in the game, along with the maintenance recipes, at least for guns). If you do not maintain complex items like guns they can even break down to the broken version, at which point you first need replacement parts (recipes in the game too!). Now, I haven't seen a spare​part kit yet, but the cool thing would be to let crafters make those (otherwise very rare to find) from high quality metal and plastics and with the respective high tier craft skill.

Same goes for armour maintenance kits (rusty to clean transition).

This will put more interest in crafters too, and make possible to use broken weapons you find in the wild, while making people care about their equipment after they got it too.
Respect all...

Aegis

Re: Equipment maintenance

Post by Aegis » Wed May 10, 2017 5:27 pm

Elbin wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 2:55 pm It seems once you get the desired/good/presumed best stuff you can keep it forever, which takes away a bit of the survival feeling.
try running with your main firearm or best main melee weapon unequipped and a random PK kills you and you loose it, if its still permanent lol

Or just the risk there is something like this to happens puts enough survival feeling right now xD

I personally hate the idea of a wearout function, most games i played that had this were just going wrong and making it something for cash shoppers only, wouldnt like to see this game drift in the same direction.

Mantaining ur character alive and healing items expenses are already high enough expenses, no need to add on top having to constantly keep paying for maintaining ur weapon in top grade, or worse make them upgradable, like for example a Saw off Shotgun +11.... lol

Crafters will have already exclusive craft stuff, and many other stuff are on work still, we just need to patience a bit.
Aegis :: Retired Senior Game Master (SGM)
Languages: English, Italian, German

FAQ:
http://ov.dmgamestudio.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=229
Game Rules:
http://ov.dmgamestudio.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=151

Elbin

Post by Elbin » Wed May 10, 2017 7:58 pm

This is not a crafting-only suggestion. The idea is to give more believability (stuff is falling apart after the war) and cohesion (a dirty piece of clothing can be cleaned) to the world, as well as promote player interaction (spare parts are not purchasable, not for virtual or real cash).

People zooming around with a valuable item in their bags should be aware of the risk. I don't think this is an argument about the suggestion.

As to the sawn-off +11, this is not an asian anime game of endless upgrades, and I'll be one of the first to leave if it turns into one.
Respect all...

Aegis

Post by Aegis » Wed May 10, 2017 8:54 pm

well these kinds of suggestions usually lead to that kind of developpement.

On a side note, it already has korean grade grind for lvling up, so wouldnt wonder if with these suggestions it goes in that direction... and sadly one cant decide whats going to be cash shop or not, and usually if there is a potential profit, it goes in that direction (and these so called quality restores would push it in that direction, maybe on top adding that if you die it degrades by a grade for the equipped stuff, because thats how it worked in other games containing this function and i really hated them for the moneygrabbing over this... great right?).
Aegis :: Retired Senior Game Master (SGM)
Languages: English, Italian, German

FAQ:
http://ov.dmgamestudio.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=229
Game Rules:
http://ov.dmgamestudio.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=151

Elbin

Post by Elbin » Wed May 10, 2017 10:26 pm

Note that I said nothing about dying. Items should degrade due to use, not misfortune. Also, I believe the dev(s) are not that greedy. The current cash shop is not exactly pay-to-win either, so you can have the luxury of imagining the "propper" implementation of an idea that would make the game better first, and make the game team rich a bit less.

Have faith :)
Respect all...

Hamjam

Post by Hamjam » Thu May 11, 2017 5:47 am

Quote - Elbin

This will easily be implemented as transforming the item in its rusty/dirty/rugged version, which are already in the game.

Hahah. Easy. Its a great idea. It may never happen, but makes a lot of sense in OV.
"The world is a cold and brutal place. Yet there is glory to be had out there in wasteland."

Say hi if I see you out there.

Ryaca

Post by Ryaca » Thu May 11, 2017 11:51 am

Once players reach higher levels they won't be able to level grind without having to repair their weapon numerous times. This woukd be very tedious. Imagine how many times it would take to repair when a player is level 2000.

Elbin

Post by Elbin » Thu May 11, 2017 1:14 pm

Ryaca wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 11:51 am Once players reach higher levels they won't be able to level grind without having to repair their weapon numerous times. This woukd be very tedious. Imagine how many times it would take to repair when a player is level 2000.
It's the same with taking your rad meds. I don't think it would make a difference to the OV-embedded subconsciousness that reached level 2000.
Respect all...

Ryaca

Post by Ryaca » Thu May 11, 2017 1:23 pm

Elbin wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 1:14 pm
Ryaca wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 11:51 am Once players reach higher levels they won't be able to level grind without having to repair their weapon numerous times. This woukd be very tedious. Imagine how many times it would take to repair when a player is level 2000.
It's the same with taking your rad meds. I don't think it would make a difference to the OV-embedded subconsciousness that reached level 2000.
I believe players would find it tedious to have to go to an area to grind and then leave that spot several times to repair their gear before they even level once. Unless there would be a way to carry the repair kits on ones person. Still, this would take up valuable pack space. Also something to think about would be that at level 2,000 it would probably take around 1.4 billion experience to gain one level. This is a rough estimate though. That would be around an hour and a half of grinding depending on what monster a player was fighting. Just some food for thought.

Elbin

Post by Elbin » Thu May 11, 2017 1:37 pm

Ryaca wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 1:23 pm
Elbin wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 1:14 pm
I believe players would find it tedious to have to go to an area to grind and then leave that spot several times to repair their gear before they even level once. Unless there would be a way to carry the repair kits on ones person. Still, this would take up valuable pack space. Also something to think about would be that at level 2,000 it would probably take around 1.4 billion experience to gain one level. This is a rough estimate though. That would be around an hour and a half of grinding depending on what monster a player was fighting. Just some food for thought.
I am sorry, did you just say it's possible to get 1.4 bil XP in 1.5 hours??? If that is the case then this game is already extremely broken. But to the question. I imagined that, for example, a single piece of equipment would deteriorate at random for every 24h of active playing time. So for your 1.5 hours nothing would happen.

Gaining a level in an hour should not be possible beyond level 10-15. If your only reason to play the game is to grind XP, which you're expected to do in a single spot without moving (as your post suggests), then your mode of playing, and your definition of fun for that matter, are so far from my own, that we're probably standing on different planets (no offense meant).
Respect all...