Role items

If you have ideas to improve this great game, post them here!
Elbin

Role items

Post by Elbin » Fri May 12, 2017 5:45 am

The idea is to have items that grant additional properties to the character, making them suited to a particular role in a party. These items are equipped only in the second weapon slot. The strength of the effect can be modified by certain attributes.

Examples:
Riot shield - less area spawn chance for humans, role:bodyguard, modifier: AC
Pheromone bottle - less area spawn chance for animals, role: beast master, modifier: perception
Camo paste - less personal spawn chance, role:scout, modifier: dexterity
Doctor's bag - heal others when selected, role:medic, modifier: intelligence

More are also possible. The idea is to not mess with existing skills, but give characters a flavour.
Respect all...

Piter

Re: Role items

Post by Piter » Fri May 12, 2017 7:39 am

Beautiful idea, one of the best in the forum. I'd love to see more strategy in clans raids

Hamjam

Post by Hamjam » Sat May 13, 2017 11:22 pm

Elbin wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 5:45 am The idea is to have items that grant additional properties to the character, making them suited to a particular role in a party. These items are equipped only in the second weapon slot. The strength of the effect can be modified by certain attributes.

Examples:
Riot shield - less area spawn chance for humans, role:bodyguard, modifier: AC
Pheromone bottle - less area spawn chance for animals, role: beast master, modifier: perception
Camo paste - less personal spawn chance, role:scout, modifier: dexterity
Doctor's bag - heal others when selected, role:medic, modifier: intelligence

More are also possible. The idea is to not mess with existing skills, but give characters a flavour.

I love all these ideas. I think it gives people more opportunities to explore beyond a pure dexterity build. Which at the moment still seems to be the common direction for people to go to farm the current high level mobs. It would truly add another element of strategy for faction wars as well as possible "boss" mobs. As it was said above this is one of the best ideas I have seen pop up on this board.
"The world is a cold and brutal place. Yet there is glory to be had out there in wasteland."

Say hi if I see you out there.

RaleDRager

Post by RaleDRager » Sun May 14, 2017 11:23 am

Id like to see this become official :D

Aegis

Post by Aegis » Sun May 14, 2017 10:01 pm

fart baloon: keeps players away from your exp farm area 😂

Best seller guaranteed! 💲
Aegis :: Retired Senior Game Master (SGM)
Languages: English, Italian, German

FAQ:
http://ov.dmgamestudio.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=229
Game Rules:
http://ov.dmgamestudio.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=151

Hamjam

Post by Hamjam » Sun May 14, 2017 10:30 pm

Aegis wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 10:01 pm fart baloon: keeps players away from your exp farm area 😂

Best seller guaranteed! 💲
Sold!
"The world is a cold and brutal place. Yet there is glory to be had out there in wasteland."

PillMaster

Post by PillMaster » Fri May 19, 2017 3:04 am

I think adding classes is a bad idea. The skill tree already defines roles. All you would do with roles is limit players to certain play style. You can be anyone before the apocalypse and having skill trees that show your various skills is better.

Unless the medic can't use a gun but only a soldier that would suck. Even that army guy before the apocalypse was also a medic who knows or A doctor raises his son to be a medic and shoot guns having random skills. Can heal broken leg etc. While another person can only patch up.

I don't like roles they just limit the game. Encouraging certain play styles and limiting player options. I like the skill trees better. I don't want to pick up a gun and the game tells me, Its not my class or does less damage as i am not class.

I want to choose what skill i want. Not a role.

An what about repairing a vehicle. Finding out only a mechanic can repair it? Even though some people in real life know how.

I may not be painting a good picture of how It will limit the game but i assure you it will.

I don't want to be stuck playing as a role.

Aegis

Post by Aegis » Fri May 19, 2017 11:06 am

right now and in future, seems a better idea to define your class by the skills and especially the stats.
Aegis :: Retired Senior Game Master (SGM)
Languages: English, Italian, German

FAQ:
http://ov.dmgamestudio.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=229
Game Rules:
http://ov.dmgamestudio.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=151

Hamjam

Post by Hamjam » Fri May 19, 2017 4:20 pm

Aegis wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 11:06 am right now and in future, seems a better idea to define your class by the skills and especially the stats.

This I agree with. Stats/skills define your path with possible items to slightly boost that path is the idea I like. Also as pill master stated he does not want to defined by a role. I doubt it will ever be "your a medic, your a tank, your a death dealer" type mode in OV. It would just be very cool to have maybe some items or something to give it a bit of this feel also. Something to flesh out that role should choose it. Obviously we don't want OP weapons and healing gear. That seems like a bad idea. Maybe just simple widely available gear that give slight boost to a specific stat or skill if a gear set is made? I honestly don't presume to know what might be best. Its also just a shame the meta in the game right now is cowboy jeans, red shirt and ranger hat or headhunter kefiyah. I would love to see more diverse looks out there that were playable long term.