Experience loss revamp request thread.

If you have ideas to improve this great game, post them here!
Hamjam

Re: Experience loss revamp request thread.

Post by Hamjam » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:44 am

BlitzCraig wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:24 am To be clear about the suggestion you quoted, choosing to die from health loss wouldn't help circumvent the need to maintain survival bars, because you'd respawn with your survival bars at the same percentage they were before you died ;)

This is the exploit I think that could end up being an issue with this. Right now when I die everything gets reset. Not saying its right. We have all become accustomed maybe? This is a wild idea but i think between the loss of 20% exp and the potential to be reset close to death might be a scary and possibly a negative experience after a bit of grinding. Maybe I am also not quite getting it. I also must say the extended survival idea is quite interesting and makes a lot of sense.

Also Blitz, I have had some pretty brutal deaths when sure I could have been safe, but this is the wasteland. Sickness being the funny one. Easily affected by player action. Which is deserved. A swift death comes sometimes. So I am not saying that is not something I dont like or should change. Just brutal, deaths.
"The world is a cold and brutal place. Yet there is glory to be had out there in wasteland."

Say hi if I see you out there.

BlitzCraig

Post by BlitzCraig » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:07 am

to explain - the only way you'd respawn close to death is if you died from HP/ health loss (then only lose 10%,not 20) -- if you die from "survival failure" you'd respawn with survival bars all at 0%

As for the "survival counter" idea... i really love it. In first couple days of game, I recommended adding a counter that showed how long (game time) you had been alive - other players would see it too, so you could kinda "show off" a bit ;) ... however, I didn't think of using for anything that really mattered... your idea does that, and i love it. personally, I'd simplify it a lot, and just say like every hour you survive your "XP loss" goes down by 5% or something like that (as an example) so using the current 20% xp loss upon death, if you survived for 2 hours before you died, you'd just lose 10%... if you survived 4 hours, you'd not lose any xp - something really simple like that

Ithaedam

Post by Ithaedam » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:24 pm

BlitzCraig wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:07 am to explain - the only way you'd respawn close to death is if you died from HP/ health loss (then only lose 10%,not 20) -- if you die from "survival failure" you'd respawn with survival bars all at 0%

As for the "survival counter" idea... i really love it. In first couple days of game, I recommended adding a counter that showed how long (game time) you had been alive - other players would see it too, so you could kinda "show off" a bit ;) ... however, I didn't think of using for anything that really mattered... your idea does that, and i love it. personally, I'd simplify it a lot, and just say like every hour you survive your "XP loss" goes down by 5% or something like that (as an example) so using the current 20% xp loss upon death, if you survived for 2 hours before you died, you'd just lose 10%... if you survived 4 hours, you'd not lose any xp - something really simple like that
This brings about the same mechanic of sitting and waiting for the timer to build up blitz :P but i like that idea! Maybe after they get everything fixed up it can become a achievment to survive x amount of hours without dying. But i like the counter idea alot, especially if it came with rewards or buffs and such.

I also would like to say i believe exp loss should be incremental or have varying levels. Like if your level 0-5 no exp loss. It is small numbers and everyone is stuck here mainly. Then itd be like 10% up until lvl 20 then 15%. The incremental increase could be combated with skills and other ways to decrease xp loss, maybe have intelligence reduce it by 1% every 5 points invested?

Hamjam

Post by Hamjam » Mon May 01, 2017 11:40 am

Ithaedam wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:24 pm
BlitzCraig wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:07 am to explain - the only way you'd respawn close to death is if you died from HP/ health loss (then only lose 10%,not 20) -- if you die from "survival failure" you'd respawn with survival bars all at 0%

This brings about the same mechanic of sitting and waiting for the timer to build up blitz :P but i like that idea! Maybe after they get everything fixed up it can become a achievment to survive x amount of hours without dying. But i like the counter idea alot, especially if it came with rewards or buffs and such.

I also would like to say i believe exp loss should be incremental or have varying levels. Like if your level 0-5 no exp loss. It is small numbers and everyone is stuck here mainly. Then itd be like 10% up until lvl 20 then 15%. The incremental increase could be combated with skills and other ways to decrease xp loss, maybe have intelligence reduce it by 1% every 5 points invested?

Maybe the timer would not build in safe zones? Because I could definitely see a few people just log and wait. Also I would almost not want to show off my survival timer. I would expect some troll to come along and shoot me in the back for kicks. Maybe something in your character screen that you could screenshot and share as opposed to a big target on your head?
"The world is a cold and brutal place. Yet there is glory to be had out there in wasteland."

Say hi if I see you out there.

Ithaedam

Post by Ithaedam » Mon May 01, 2017 5:37 pm

Perfect thing would be like a chat command like /time to see how long youve survived ths go around, maybe even keeps track of how many times youve died

Malakie

Post by Malakie » Mon May 01, 2017 6:58 pm

Imo unless they fix experience loss more and more people will leave alot of people work and don't have time for mindless grinding just to have 6 hours of work taken with one death I did play this up till level 5 but after that it's almost impossible to get anywhere if you work and can't devote several hours a day to the game

Elbin

Post by Elbin » Tue May 02, 2017 1:44 pm

Ithaedam wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:24 pm

How about we make it so that sitting it out on your ass-hat isn't an option? Currently thirst/hunger build up fully for about 2-3 hours, I think (I've only played for a couple of days, but still). So you'll have to waste some food and drink, not to mention rad meds, to stay alive for that time. However we can combine the two ideas (two death types and survival counter) to make it even more usable (and harder to exploit):

We set the HP-death penalty at 10% WITHOUT survival stat reset.
Survival death is at 20% WITH stat reset.
For the first two hours you ONLY lower the penalty from HP-death 5% at a time.
For the next four hours you lower the survival death penalty 5% at a time.
When you reach the six-hour mark you get the added bonus of survival stat reset for your next HP-death.

After playing for some time I started getting closer and closer to survival death (haven't happened yet to me though) - I get better at evading HP-death, get better equipment, etc. This means that at some point (and based on the way you play) the pressure from survival death becomes greater, and at that moment you should already be free from HP-death penalties. It's a way to reward people for learning to evade dangers, but discourage idling in town.
Respect all...

BlitzCraig

Post by BlitzCraig » Tue May 02, 2017 2:07 pm

interesting proposal - a bit more complex than I'd personally choose, but a great thing for the dev team to consider ;)

Ithaedam

Post by Ithaedam » Tue May 02, 2017 5:10 pm

Interesting yes, but it has to be simple enough that the coding wont cause issues. So that may be too advanced for them to worry about at the moment. Its a good proposal though as blitz said.
BlitzCraig wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 2:07 pm interesting proposal - a bit more complex than I'd personally choose, but a great thing for the dev team to consider ;)
Blitz, i really need you to answer my pm if ya can bro. I need you!

Elbin

Post by Elbin » Tue May 02, 2017 7:02 pm

Ithaedam wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 5:10 pm Interesting yes, but it has to be simple enough that the coding wont cause issues. So that may be too advanced for them to worry about at the moment. Its a good proposal though as blitz said.
I absolutely agree, ease of implementation is probably the highest priority right now. I was just imaginating :) Also, you never know if something wouldn't​ actually be easy to do with just a little tweaking of the idea and/or code.
Respect all...