Creature spawn time vs XP pts. gained test

If you have ideas to improve this great game, post them here!
Kabuki

Creature spawn time vs XP pts. gained test

Post by Kabuki » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:39 pm

So i tested for a 1 hour, how many creatures are spawned and how many XP is gained.
Tested creature name- Brawler (/pos around 5.2(142,39))
(reasons: best for my level, not far from town, average-good loot, 1 kill gives 165 exp pts.)
Time: 1 hour hunt
Total Brawlers hunted: 57

So let's make some calculations:

My current level is 15, from level start to reach level 16 is required 150.000 exp pts. (i think it's right number, but i may be wrong, please correct me in that case).

So total number of Brawlers required to reach 16th lvl: 150.000 /165= 909.1 Brawlers
Total time need for this purpose: In my test per 1 hour 57 brawlers spawned, let's make round number of 60, so: 909.1/ 60 = 15 hours, 15 minutes (counting only endless fighting).

So 15 hours to reach new level on this creature. I'm not experienced MMORPG player, so would like to hear other opinions, is this number not to extended for average 16 lvl.

Point of this calculation: I was really bored waiting for slow spawn of Brawlers (~1 per 1 minute), actually would like large population of average creatures like them, just to run around and fight all, but instead u just wait for them to show up at slow pace.

There's a lot of players hunting same creature, so would be interesting to hear everyone's opinions and results if there's any.
GL all.

Ryaca

Re: Creature spawn time vs XP pts. gained test

Post by Ryaca » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:21 pm

Very detailed and thought out. Nice calculations.

zepper93

Post by zepper93 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:40 am

Yes he has nice calculation for trying to do an auto spawn. U can lvl alot faster spawning more by moving increasing time it takes to level and or taking more risks at finding other things to kill. As a very experienced mmorpg player don't contain urself to one thing just cause it "works" the point is explore and find things. But at a point yes u gota do the boring grinding so find the best thing to grind and most efficient way to do it. I found my way ;) so go and explore. And yes dieing is part of exploring

Rha

Post by Rha » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:57 am

15 hours nonstop grinding to lvl from 15 to 16 is waaaaay too much... And all those calculations dont take into account the xp loss on death which is absurdly high.... The higher your xp the more you lose... A had a bad run lvling from 8-9, i died a couple times in a row cuz i wasnt paying attention and i lost about 10k xp... Imagine the numbers at higher lvls...
Things like this make me feel the game is unbalanced...
I agree that it makes the game more challenging and rewarding.. But its just too punishing..
Elder and sovereign of the Brotherhood of Steel

BlitzCraig

Post by BlitzCraig » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:18 pm

I like to advance quickly too, and it is frustrating when you play and feel sometimes that you didn't accomplish anything, but what's the alternative though? 1 level per hour? ... if that's the case, there would already be players in game over level 600... that seems a bit excessive to me, know what i mean?

Malakie

Post by Malakie » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:50 am

Yea but there's also people who work who don't even have 15 hours to spare to play video games a week there are always going to be people who have no lives and end up at super high levels but for normal people that only have a few hours a week to play will barely advance after level 5 and that gets boring fast I'm sure some people will stick around but after you lose exp for the umpteenth time and you're stuck at the same level for three days people tend to move on to other games

BlitzCraig

Post by BlitzCraig » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:18 pm

that's a fair point - trying to balance casual gamers with more committed gamers is no easy task... the same players who leave because of not enough advancement, will leave because of the perceived lack of advancement as compared to other players too (as others are level 600 to their own 30 for example - i do think there's a good conversation to be had about drastically reducing the xp loss upon death though

LMZRIP

Post by LMZRIP » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:16 pm

How to say? The huge value makes people feel depressed, 500,000 exp, the number of 1 million exp is too big. Is not it should be reduced by ten times yet? of course, the monster's experience is also reduced ten times. So that the difficulty is the same, but the overall senses are not the same.

Ryaca

Post by Ryaca » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:13 pm

I will add that in Forgotten Tales it takes a REALLY long time to level and there is thousands of players that play. The players don't mind this long grind time at all. I don't either. I will say that players shouldn't lose a drastic amount of experience when they die though. I don't believe anyone is going anywhere. Few may leave but most will stay.

Alko

Post by Alko » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:01 pm

I slightly agree because for new players and sometimes long term players of the game may feel that it's a faultless task to get to such high levels of exp and have a looming presences of losing it all by one death away.

Thing is, I want to keep the realistic value the game has but also give a good fun progression in the game, so I'd find a way to balance old school survival fallout like conditions with a touch of fun and exciting game play that doesn't stress and or demeanor the players ability to to think of this game as a only grinding kind of game.
Let the story flow through you, become the monologue.